Sunday, March 20, 2005

Heroics for Beginners

Heroics for Beginners by John Moore came highly recommended by a close friend of me. I found the story to be highly entertaining. I mean the "hero's" name is prince Kevin Timberline and he's learning how to be a hero by reading The Handbook of Pratical Heroics
so that he can do defeat the Evil Lord Voltmeter (He Who Must be Named) and marry the Princess Rebecca from the kingdom of Deserae.

The idea behind the story was great, but I think it could have been handled better. I think has the potential to become and even better movie than a book. It didn't quite hold my interest like some of my favorite books, it didn't compel me to finish it that very moment. I actually stopped one night with less than 10 pages left and didn't find myself going crazy to finish those last few pages. (I've been known to stay up to the wee hours of the morning just to finish a book because there were only 100 pages left...)

I was highly entertained with many of the puns and poking fun of the typical fairy tail story and situations. But be warned, this book is geared more towards the older young adults to adults. There are some romantic situations that made my jaw hit the floor (I went into reading this as a book that could be shared with younger readers).

Next up... a little change of pace with Shopaholic Takes Manhattan. I just need to finish my inbetween re-read of Jean M. Auel's The Mammoth Hunters.

No comments: