Sunday, May 21, 2006

Morning Reading

With a setting like this, how can I resist from sitting out on the balcony and enjoying the morning sunlight? I can't begin to describe how much I love the balcony of my apartment. There's something almost magical and peaceful at the same time. If it wasn't for the din of the traffic I'd almost think that I'm home.
The cats enjoy being outside as well. At the old apartment it didn't matter so much if they decided to take a flying leap off the balcony. Here... not so much. We're just a little higher than the 6 feet that we were before. I'd hate to see something bad happen to them. That is why they only get superivised visititation rights to the outside world that is their balcony. The rest of the time they have to make the best of the open windows and the sunlight that comes in there.


I finally made it back to the library. I picked up the The Penultimate Peril, 12th book in the Lemony Snicket series. Once again, a cliffhanger full of silly little puns and whatnots. I'm really looking forward to how this is all going to come together in the end. This book started bringing back almost all the good and bad guys from the previous book, I can only imagine what he'll do with the 13th.


I picked up Sideways not knowing anything about the book, I just knew that there was a movie based on it. The premise for the book is two guys going out for a last hurrah before the one gets married. They go on a road trip through wine country in California. My first reaction to this book was what a bunch of pretentious bullshit. The main character is obsessed with Pinot Noirs and gives a loooooooooong describtion with each and every wine that he consumes, from the very bad to the very good. I found the book hard to get into. There are many wayout there plot lines, or maybe the crowd that I run with is just "more boring" than these two. I was almost 3/4ths of the way done before I felt compelled to finish it. By that time I was doing research on what the movie was like and the reviews that it got. I'm tempted to watch it... but only if it comes on tv. ;)



I've always been a fan of Anne Rice's and was fairly distraught at her statement that she said "I promised that from now on I would write only for the Lord." Still intrigued to see how she'd do writing about Jesus' life, I picked it up from the library. I'm only halfway through at this moment and I'm not feeling the same Anne Rice of old. Her Vampire Chronicles have pulled me in and have gone deep into my subconscious. Her tales entered my dreams and gave me a "dark" outlook on my daily life. Sounds weird when put that way, but most of her novels can easily be described as dark. So, I'm still giving the book a chance. We'll see what happens, personally my fingers are crossed that it gets better.

EDIT: So just finished... not impressed. By the time that I was beginning to get into the story it ended... *sigh*

No comments: