Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Week 4, Day 1

So, I went into this run with mixed emotions. I was feeling very strong today and didn't notice any problems with my legs or knees. Everything seemed to be lining up for me today and I was really excited about running today..... and then, I started Robert's podcast for week 4 and he said the following:
We will then have 2 repetitions of the following: jog for 3 minutes, walk for 90 seconds, then jog for 5 minutes, and recover with a 2 1/2 minute walk. Then we will repeat the intervals jogging and walking for a total of about 18 minutes.

I almost shit a brick thinking that not only would I have to run for 5 min- that I would have to repeat it!!!! I also had flashbacks of the struggle that I had at the beginning of week 3 (the first time) and how I was only able to run the first 2 min of that last 3 min run.

I did the 5 min warmup and then started the first run. One word- wow. There was such an awesome combination of the weather, feeling my body responding so strongly, not feeling any pain in my knees or in my shins- I also caught a glimpse of my shadow and had a moment where I thought "that is a shadow of a runner."

I easily made it through that first 3 min, no problems, got to the 5 min and kept it slow and really amazed myself as I made it through that one no problem. My recoveries were quick, I was breathing good. Got into the next 3 min, again, no problems and was feeling good going into the last interval. I was running slow, with purpose and was anxious to know where I was time wise. As soon as he said, "ok, lets push it for one more mintue" I really kicked it up a notch and let loose for a few seconds (up a hill). I did eventually slow down because my sense of time doesn't always work so well when I'm distracted and I didn't want to completely wear myself out before time was up.

When time was up, I felt so proud and accomplished and for the first time since I've started- felt no pain or tenderness in my legs! NONE! I normally have a great desire to stretch out my shins after the cool down, but today... I just felt like I could keep going. Was so amazing and I easily got a glimpse of the runner that I feel that I am becoming!

No comments: