Saturday, June 7, 2008

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

IMG_0088
IMG_0087

Today was the day of my 5K. Started at the ungodly hour of 5AM to get to DC before the race started at 8.

Had lots of water to help battle the HEAT and humidity that I knew we'd be facing. They were calling for 90 degree temps and I received many warnings about being well hydrated for the race (the cutest ones were from my dad!). I drank so much water that I barely made it through the metro ride to downtown!

We (me, mike, and both of our moms) got there in enough time to find the start line, stretch, and pose for some pics. I still can't believe how many people were there! The moms heard a report of 50 THOUSAND people! All I know is that as we ran past the start line the people were still coming! It was crazy! There was one part where we had to run up a gradual incline and I was shocked at the SEA of people that filled the streets!

The race went really well. It was nice to run on relatively flat terrain. My breathing was good, never really felt winded. I definately enjoyed the people watching (many good looking men without shirts- whats not to like!). This was also the first run without my ipod. I had it with me if I needed it but there was so much going on I didn't even bother. Details on my race can be found here, compliments of my kitties who love me oh so much!
IMG_0085 IMG_0086

I also had a few emotional moments at the start of the race. I got choked up a few times at all the survivors in their pink shirts running. I couldn't help but feel pride that my mom is a two time breast cancer survivor- an almost 18 year survivor. I really can't believe that it has been that long. And the first round that she had was bad- like 18/24 lymph nodes bad, bad enough that when she was diagnosed the second time the doctor looked at her with shock and surprise wanting to know how she survived it. She just looked up at him and was like, I didn't know that I had any other options.

IMG_0083 IMG_0090

No comments: